Welcome to our deep dive episode on the upcoming NHS app – which we cover multiple areas of primary care and patient care. A highly opinionated episode which we encourage your comments and feedback on.
1.00 Thank you Sponsor – HTN The Health Tech Newspaper (HTN)- an innovative daily news and opinion website for the health tech network.
1.40 Thank you to our followers: @SonaliKinra @NottsLMC @NCGPANottm@Jacey_Melody @JThambyrajah @KalindiKrishna @RcgpFaculties@2GPs_in_a_Pod , @DME_Health, @BenXGowland , @EvilGP and @drNickHarvey -creator of Digitalis
2.25 Andy has had a cold and been on a cruise
2.40 Gandhi has also had a holiday, working on TipThursday especially the Kardia Alivekor episode with a free resource on the episode available here.
3.30 Today we are talking about the upcoming NHS app
We are going to talk about the app. This was inspired by a great article by our friends at Gizmodo. http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/08/exclusive-heres-what-the-new-nhs-app-will-look-like-and-why-it-could-have-been-so-much-worse/
The intentions behind the app are exactly what you might expect: Make it easier for patients to access healthcare services, cut down on administrative burden, and eventually provide a means to connect with other health apps, like Fitbit and Apple’s Health app.
Jeremy Hunt set out “8 challenges” for the app
- (7.20) Symptom checking and triage (i.e. figuring out if you’re just being a hypochondriac or whether you should be in an ambulance right now)- eConsultation, webGP, babylon AI
- (13.00) Access to your medical records and security issues.
- (23.10) GP appointment booking
- (28.20) Repeat prescription ordering
- (29.50) Changing data sharing preferences
- (31.38) Changing organ donation preferences
- (33.38) Changing end of life care choices – DNAR medical decision
- (38.50) Promoting “approved apps” to patients – see the NHS app libraryand @OrchaUK
(42.50) Summary of our views (including a compliment for Jeremy Hunt!!!!) including the issue of photo ID verification to use the app.
These are discussed in turn during the show…
(49.00) Sign off and next episode spoilers
Do let us know what you think?
Thanks for listening…